Feb 2, 2009

22 week ultrasound update!


Well, I had another appointment this morning and things are still looking good. Once again baby was being stubborn and did not want to move around too much. I had a medical student doing my u/s and you could tell she didn't have as much experience. Thankfully, my dr. was standing there watching what she was doing and making sure she was getting the proper measurments. They checked his fluid levels, which they said was normal. I didn't ask about specifics but normal sounded ok to me. He weighs 1lb. 4oz. which is in the 70th percentile so he is still a big boy but not huge.

Of course, I had another cervical check and things are still ok in that department. My cervix did shorten up a little since my last appointment but apparently not enough to cause concern. It was at 4cm last time and 3.40cm today. I asked if this was something that we should worry about and the dr. said no. He said it can fluctuate and that anything over 3 was still doing good. He said they don't become concerned until it reaches 2.5cm. He said that the babies head is not engaged and is not putting pressure on the cervix so that is good. He thinks I will be perfectly fine for the next 2 weeks until my appointment. However, he did say that if I felt badly, like I was getting sick, or had cramping to call and they would have me back in to check it. So for right now, I am not on bedrest or any type or restricted activity. Hopefully it will stay that way.


He told me a my next appointment on Feb. 16th, that I will be having my 1 hr. glucose test done. This is when I get to drink a sugar drink and then 1 hour later they draw my blood. They look at your blood sugar levels. Anything less than 180 is passing. If you fail it, then you have to do a 3 hour glucose test. If you fail this one, then you are diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Lets hope it does not get this far! I am hoping to pass the 1st one. The nice thing is that they give you the drink when you get there, before your appointment, and afterward you go get the blood draw.


This is a new picture of the baby. As I said he really didn't want his picture taken but it is still pretty good.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Just a word of advice about your glucose test, don't eat right before the 1 hour before. If that makes any sense. I scarfed down lunch and drank the stuff right after and I ended up having to do the 3-hour which is awful! So give yourself some time between eating and drinking that stuff. I did that the second time around and passed. Good luck!

The Waller Family said...

I totally agree with Becky. They said I could eat before the 1 hr, just nothing too sugary. So I ate a healty bowl of cereal. Totally failed and had to do the 3 hr. It was terrible!!! I ended up passing, but hated the whole experience!

Anonymous said...

That is one beautiful baby! I am glad that things are progressing as expected. Good Luck on your glucose test!